A Moment Before Sleep



A Moment Before Sleep
         



The darkness embraces me gently as I sink under the covers. I sigh, content. I shut my eyes and finally relax. Immediately, snippets of today’s film flash by. A bronze hand tossing gloves. Fish being served on a plate. A pile of clothes by the side of the road. A bowl of fruit. A drawing of a little boy. Vague sensations flit by – the shadow of a warm arm, a ghostly breeze, a tingle of sunshine, the pinprick of a thorn. My body aches. It’s finally allowed to complain. Music plays in the background, a medley of rhythms and poetry, with one louder than the others. But it’s not the only thing I hear. 

Voices float in and out of my mind. “We did good, guys!” “I want a waffle.” “Here, I got you.” “Your hair is gonna get tangled in the bush.” “Do you remember where I live, sweetie?” “Lo dejaremos para la próxima reunión.” “I want to know all about your charm bracelet…they’re supposed to be very personal.” “Tenemos que hacer otro karaoke.” Other voices swirl through my mind, memories of times long gone. “Hey, do you want to help with the event?” “Oh my gosh, it’s so great to see you!” “Really? You’re using me to block the sun?” “What do you mean, “you can’t dance”? I saw you dancing over there this whole time!” “I know! I can’t believe we saw each other three times today!” “All the potatoes.” 

My mind flicks through shards of memories that never fail to make me smile. It’s a good way to end a good day. I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve first laid here. I open my eyes. All the lights are off. The house is asleep. I shift, hearing the whisper and flutter of blankets, the creak and groan of both frame and spring. As I settle down again, my mind once again wanders. Past memories become present daydreams, as I relive and modify, continue or cut short, whatever suits my fancy. 



I’m unaware when it starts, that gentle, gradual drifting. Eventually, tomorrow will be today, and today’s yesterday is centuries past. Everything comes to an end, be it good, be it bad. Our ending is coming much faster than I’d like. But not yet, not yet…there’s still time. Did we ever really begin? Or was it as gentle, as gradual, as this? I soar, I glide, I land, I fall. A process that continuously repeats itself, day by day. A beautiful smile every day. Smiles that dance before me as I fall deeper. I don’t know what awaits me tonight. But I’m ready. And finally, I’m gone, delving into the darkness in search of an adventure. Before I wake, I’ll live a thousand lives, but remember none. 



The drawing above was made by one of my best friends, Krishna. She drew it based on the short story/reflection I wrote. 

Thank you for reading!


Disclaimer:

The intention of this blog is not to offend anyone.
I do not own the drawing - all credit goes to Krishnaben Patel. It has been posted here with her permission. The short story enclosed is my own, original work.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts